Monday 11 April 2011

My first British Juggling Convention.

By: Tess Cartwright
www.tessential.com

A year ago if someone asked me if I was a juggler I would have said: "Well, I juggle but I wouldn't call myself a juggler." Then in April 2010, my new job, Greentop Circus, told me I would be representing the organization at the BJC. I responded with "What does that stand for?" The British Juggling Convention. At the time camping, in April, surrounded by JUGGLERS did not sound ideal. I had never been to a juggling convention, and I had only camped twice in my life. One of which ended with my parents suing Girl Guide camp. I didn't own a tent or a sleeping bag, and I also didn't really know anyone who was going. I had only been in the U.K. for a couple months and was still getting used to British people. The odds were not in my favor for enjoyment.

I packed into a car with a family who were bringing two of our youth circus participants to the convention. They had nothing but positive things to say about the event but that didn't exactly make me feel any more hopeful. The whole way there they were trailing a cozy camper van complete with all the amenities that tips camping into the realm of a holiday. We got there, parked their little van and it was now time to set up my tent. I had never set up a tent on my own so I was counting on these two kids to help me. Unfortunately, the tent I borrowed was made about a decade before either of them were born and the excitement of the week quickly turned to sibling rivalry hell. They screamed, whined and threatened one another with the rusty poles of my polka dot tent (dotted from ciggarette burns) In about 45 minutes the tent was finally erect, complete with a pole inside the centre of where I was sleeping and they were giving each other the silent treatment.

By the time I unrolled the sleeping someone lent me and I came to terms with the fact that it looked less thermal than a facial tissue, more people had arrived. In no time, I was surrounded by other jugglers and their tents, all very friendly and jubilant. Their excitement started to wear off on me and my trepidation subsided. I was now ready to spend a week juggling and camping. I grabbed my clubs and headed for the 24hr juggling hall. Do people really juggle at 4am you might wonder? Yes, yes they do.

I opened the door to the hall and was smacked in the face with the smell of perspiration, focus and siteswap (juggling math). I wasn't sure how it was possible for there to be a thriving eco-system of body odor when the convention had literally started an hour before. Luckily, sensory adaptation kicked in and I didn't really smell it after 10 minutes. That, or I smelt just as bad as everyone else within that time. The 24hr juggling hall is a magical place. I was surrounded by jugglers of all levels and disciplines. You are recognized by what you juggle and though I thought I would be the worst juggler there, everyone was intent on working on their specific trick and where you are in your skill is very personal. In the end we are all in the same place, just trying to get better. I bonded with other people who juggle px3s like myself and in no time, I picked up a new trick, had a pass with someone and some people invited me over to the bar for a drink. That week my juggling vastly improved. The weather was beautiful and everyone was warm and welcoming, there was never a line for the female washroom and I had no problem recognizing my tent.

Juggling is a unique community where no matter what your level everyone is really down to earth and open to skill sharing. For example, someone came over and gave me a tip on technique even though I was just working on a 3-ball columns. Then, that night that same person was on stage in the showcase.  I feel there is a mutual respect and understanding between jugglers because we've all started the same way: how do you throw and catch three items with only two hands? From there the journey begins and for many never ends.




The Games: a series of endurance competitions.

I am really anticipating this year's BJC. Now that I have been a part of this community for over a year and have been to many more juggling conventions I know what to expect, who I want to juggle with, what tricks I want to master and most of all I am proud to call myself a juggler. Lately, Charlie Dancey's Encyclopedia of Club Juggling has been my bedtime reading! Now when I walk into a juggling hall instead of perspiration I smell determination... Well maybe perspiration combined with determination.

No comments:

Post a Comment